Monday, November 17, 2014

30 Days of Gratefulness, Week 2 Follow Up

Can you believe we're already half-way through November?  I certainly can't!  Pictures from this past week are below...

Day 9: An Ability
I don't like to brag or to boast. It seems rude and self centered. But, if I must, I would say the ability I prize the most is my ability to see through the cracks. In doing so, I am afforded the opportunity to be creative and compassionate. I can see the solutions no one sees, the good in someone who has lost faith in themselves, and the vulnerabilities in those who try to front. This is not to say that I know all, or that I am without my prejudices and frustrations. Only, I am thankful for the opportunity to be creative because it brings me joy. And, I am thankful for the opportunity to temper my judgements with compassion because then I am able to bring joy to others. Seeing through the cracks, I am reminded, we are all human.

A door cracked open.

Day 10: A Piece of Knowledge
I am thankful to know struggle. From the learning disabilities I had in my youth, to the mental health issues I had in young adulthood, to all the medical and physical issues we have had to deal with when it comes to Lily - I am so thankful. My struggles have taught me the value of perseverance, shown me the strength of my own character, and demonstrated the importance of kindness. My struggles, while minuscule compared to what others have endured, have taught me many life lessons I will not soon forget.

My daughter, Lilith, when she was a preemie in the NICU.

Day 11: Something Natural
I love the changing of the seasons - the way summer smashes into fall, fall bows down to winter, winter begrudgingly gives way to spring, and spring jumps into summer - I love it all (erm, except maybe, for February). The changing of the seasons is a reminder that nothing is permanent. As the bible verse goes, "for everything there is a season." The same thing goes for our own lives. With every season, we are given the opportunity for reflection and rebirth. And, for that, I am grateful.

This picture was taken at the Civic Garden center of Cincinnati.
It shows a red tree, a green tree and a yellow tree.

Day 12: Inspirational Words
There have been so many words that have inspired and sustained me over the years. Far too many to put here. So, instead, I have chosen 5 quotes, 5 pictures, to share with you. Combined, these 5 quotes sum up my philosophy on life... for the most part.

"I stopped looking for the light.
Decided to become it instead."
"Grass is greener where you water it."
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you
hase it, the more it will elude you, but if you
turn your attention to other things, it will come
and sit softly on your shoulder..." (Thoreau)
"Mother Teresa didn't walk
around complaining about
her thighs - she had shit to do."
"Be gentle with yourself.  You are a child
of the universe.  No less than the trees and
the stars.  In the noisy confusion of life
keep peace in your soul. - Max Ehrmann."

Day 13: Inspirational Person
Just like with the words, many people have inspired and sustained me over the years. From my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Keller, to modern heroes of our time, such as the Dalai Lama. Today, however, I'd like to uplift two people who continue to inspire me - my parents, Russ and Rae Jane. I cannot express how thankful I am for all that they have done, and continue to do, for me. Surely, there are no better parents on the face of this Earth. When I grow up, I hope I am at least half as compassionate and giving as my father, and half as strong and resilient as my mother. I am so blessed and so grateful.

My parents, Russ and Rae Jane, at my father's 60th birthday party.  

Day 14: A Difficulty / Challenge
I bit my nails off today. I should have realized, that's a sign my anxiety is high. I've dealt with anxiety most of my adult life. At times it has paralyzed me, confused me, overwhelmed me, and upset me. Lately, it just seems to prevent me from being as kind and compassionate as I know I can be (i.e. I've been a bit irritable). I am thankful for this challenge only in that my anxiety tells me when it is time to step back and reevaluate. Often it is a reminder that something is out of balance in my life and I need to restructure my priorities. Upon reflecting today, it is clear I am need of more family time, as well as self-care.
My nails.

Day 15: Something Old
This sanctuary, at the First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati, is 125 years old. When it was constructed, there were no computers, or cars, and Avondale (where this is located) was a wealth suburb of Cincinnati. The congregants (including future president Taft) traveled by horse or by foot to its door. Today, this sanctuary is the spiritual home for nearly 300 Unitarian Universalists. We drive in from all around the city. We tutor in Avondale schools, donate to the local food pantry, provide temporary housing to homeless families, fight for equal rights, and so much more. I am thankful for this community, which has seen me through many hard times, and which continues to fight for justice in Cincinnati and beyond.
The sanctuary at the First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati.
Feeling thankful!

- Ms. Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment