Sunday, November 9, 2014

30 Days of Gratefulness, Week 1 Follow Up

It's been just over a week since November began.  I've been snapping (or stealing) pictures and posting them to my Facebook as part of the 30 days of gratefulness photo challenge.  As I am not friends with all of you, I thought I would re-posts all of my pictures on this blog, once a week.  So, here is my week 1 follow-up...

Day 1: Someone I See Everyday
I chose my husband, Doug for this day. For his sense of humor, giving heart, resilience and strength, I am very grateful. He is my best friend, my partner and my rock. I am so thankful.


My husband, Doug, smiling his goofy smile.

Day 2: A Gift
The gift I am most grateful for is family. Some people aren't lucky enough to have family that live so close. Even though we may not always like each other, or agree on everything, we are always there for each other in times of need.


My family at Soho's celebrating the life of my grandfather,
who passed away a year ago this month.

Day 3: A Friend
I chose this women right here - Emily. Being friends since 7th grade (that's 15 years ago) we've been through a lot together, often experiencing the same things at the same time (engagement, marriage, our first child). When Lily was born early, she was there for me - checking in, offering support, and providing comfort - while many of my other friends cut off communications.  And, while life can get in the way, and we may not talk or see each other as often as we would like, I am so thankful to call this woman my best friend and to have her in my life.


My best friend, Emily, snuggling with her two boys.
Mini-Emily due to arrive in early Spring!

Day 4: Something Beautiful
Not many people would call a scar beautiful, but there is no other way to describe this scar. This scar on my daughter's neck which tells people, "Look, I am a survivor. I am a miracle." One year ago, on this day, Lily went in for the biggest surgery of her life. A surgery that gave her the power to breathe, to swim, to talk. It was then that this scar was added to her appearance. On second thought, beautiful is an understatement.


The scare on my daughter's neck, where her trach used to be.

Day 5: A Luxury
This is me reading a book. This is me practicing self-care. As mothers around the world will tell you, self-care is the ultimate luxury. Unfortunately, I don't get to practice self-care as much as I should. But, I am thankful that on this night, I could.


Me, reading a book.

Day 6: A Need
We all need sleep. And, if you know me at all you know I am a very big fan of sleep (always the first to go to bed at sleep overs, would sleep in until noon over the summer, and can nap practically anywhere). I am very, very, very thankful for the sleep that I need and get (I am sure my husband is as well, as I can be quite cranky when I don't get enough sleep).


Me, trying to sleep.

Day 7: Something Big
Cincinnati children's is big in both footprint and in programs offered. I am thankful, not only for all that they have done for my family, but for all that they continue to do for children in this area and abroad. How lucky we are to have such a resource in our own backyard!


Cincinnati Children's Logo

Day 8: Something Small
Our dog, Murphy. Our first baby. He is always there for a snuggle and always seems to know what is on our minds (not to mention how patient he is with Lily). I'm so thankful for all the joy and love he has brought into our lives.


My cockapoo, Murphy.
Have you been participating in the 30 days of gratefulness challenge?  If so, send me a picture at dre@firstuu.com, and I may feature your picture in an upcoming post.

Wishing you a grateful heart!

- Ms. Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment