Friday, January 2, 2015

Pinterest Pick Thursday

I know, I know, I'm a day behind once again.  I've been battling a terrible cold all week and I am just now getting to the point that I can do anything other than lie in bed, so I hope you will forgive me.

Now, I am wondering if you have heard the story of Leelah Alcorn - the ohio teen who committed suicide because she was transgender.  While this story has just started gaining national recognition, it has been saturating my news feed since the tragic incident occurred, as Leelah Alcorn lived - and lost her life - just 10 short miles from my home.

Leelah Alcorn: Taken from her Tumblr

In her suicide note, Leelah pleaded "My death needs to mean something."  And so it has, as her suicide has sparked a local and national discussion on what it means to be transgender in this world.  Now, I have said it before and I will say it again - I am just a simple, middle class white girl from the burbs.  Beyond my gender, religion and my daughter's disability, I have no claim to oppression, and I will not speak on behalf of those who are disenfranchised.  However, I do have people very close to me who identify as transgender, and so I will stand up against oppression, I will be an ally, and I will not shy away from this discussion.  As Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "No one is free until we are all free."

So, for you Leelah, for those close to me who identify as transgender, and for all people who identify as transgender, this week's pinterest pick is for you...

Pinterest Pick of the Week
Continuing the Discussion

Faith Formation Component
Context

Time for Activity
1 - 2 Hours

Recommended Age
5 Years Old and Up

Materials
Gender Role Pictures (printed and cut out).  A blank piece of paper, A Copy of 10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert.

Activity
Start the discussion with your child by examining gender roles.  Print off the grid below and cut out the pictures. 



On a piece of paper create two columns - label one 'boy' and the other 'girl.'  Ask your child to sort the pictures into each column.  Afterwards, ask:
  • Was it difficult to sort the pictures?
  • Which pictures did you feel could go in both columns?
  • What does society say about girls who play with trucks?  How about boys who wear dresses?
Next, read 10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert.  Afterwards, discuss some more:
  • Why would a book like this be written?
  • Who should read this book?
  • What does it mean to be transgender?
  • Why might it be hard to be transgender?
  • How can we help?
Now, revisit the sorting activity - Does your child want to change anything?  Print off another sheet of pictures if needed.

Older children may be open to learning more about what it means to be an ally.  For that, I recommend this guide from the University of Missouri - Kansas City.

Original Sources
News article about Leelah Alcorn provided by ABC News.  A few of the discussion questions were provided by Alexis Birner from Pear Tree Education.  Additional activity ideas can be found by viewing her YouTube video below...


All other sources cited above.


If you or anyone you know of is thinking of suicide, the number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1 (800) 273 - 8255.  They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Peace be with you,

- Ms. Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment